AddThis Feed Button

3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

Tags

The Walmart Debate Continues

Quick. Convenient. Cheap. Yup, that’s Walmart. It usually has everything you need for your life and home, from cleaning supplies, to furniture (including electronics), clothes, and in some cases it has a food aisle, although I haven’t seen one with any fresh produce yet.

Last night the debate about Walmart came up around my dinner table. I had gone there yesterday to purchase some kittie litter for the two new little kitties I welcomed into my house. I ended up getting a few other things there including a set of place-mats.

My family and friends around the table were shocked that I would go into a Walmart. And yes I try not to admit to going into Walmart. But last night they really got me thinking about it and in the future I will go to local and Canadian stores.

My father was adamantly opposed to Walmart and at first we thought it was because he was just ‘too good’ for Walmart. But that is not the case at all. He objects to going in because they ruin small towns, the lives of the people and the small town culture. My friend, Mel, grew up in small town Ontario on a gorgeous dairy farm. Her town has been slotted to get a Walmart and construction is underway. She worries about the devastation her town faces in the coming years and I don’t blame her. Alliston, Ontario has a very sweet and charming Main Street. What will happen to it when Walmart moves in? Will Main Street become Dead Street?

The arguments from my father and Mel really got me thinking. Walmart is not sustainable, far from regenerative, and shouldn’t have a place in our future. To stop Walmart from destroying more of Canada and the US we need to just stop shopping there.

Comments

Pingback from » The Walmart Debate Continues
Time November 9, 2008 at 4:51 pm

[…] Her town has been slotted to get a Walmart and construction is underway. More […]

Comment from Ferne
Time November 11, 2008 at 12:15 am

Interesting….I have a Walmart in my community a stone throw away! Many moons ago it use to be a forest, then a mall, now its Walmart. For me, it ended when the forest disappeared – “give up paradise to put up a parking lot” syndrome. Thanks for the wake-up call – will visit Streetsville more in the future – the Village in the City – all small shops. xo

Comment from david
Time November 13, 2008 at 3:26 pm

I have never shopped at walmart. It seemed obvious to me from the get go that walmarts ultimate goal was to put every other business out of business, and they’ll do it buy forcing production out of North America, no way to slice that to make it good for the average North American… except maybe cheap litter ?.

Having said all that. Recently I was buying shelves at RONA (a Canadian company). I was short one piece, and live much closer to Home Depot, so went there to get the replacement… guess what. Half the price.

I still wont shop at walmart, but I can certainly see why people do. Money talks to most people. I’m sure the average savings aren’t as high as 50%, but as my father loves to say…’it all adds up’

Comment from sasha
Time November 13, 2008 at 5:05 pm

you’re right, the cheaper the price the more appealing it is for people to shop there. Given the recent economic downturn even more people are going to turn to Walmart.
As much as I want the world to be greener I cannot exactly ask people to be green for the sacrifice of basic needs for their families

Comment from David
Time November 13, 2008 at 5:36 pm

this came from somebody i follow on twitter… sorry dont remember who

Comment from sasha
Time November 13, 2008 at 5:44 pm

That was really cool – and scary.
Hopefully someone can draw a similar map of communities/mainstreets that have collapsed since a Walmart was opened.